Transferring DATA directory

From: Alfred <alfred(dot)lau(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Transferring DATA directory
Date: 2006-01-17 15:57:55
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

I'm trying to transfer large amounts of data between two PostgreSQL
8.1.2 database Windows XP platforms using the physical filesystem backup
method. I used the same PostgreSQL installer on both machines and the
same PostgreSQL configuration. I also used default options with PostGIS
options. I did the following:

1.  shut down the database on each of machine A and machine B,
2.  zipped up the <postgre-home>\DATA directory on machine A and
unzipped it onto machine B.
3.  when I started up PostgreSQL on machine B with machine A's data
directory, the following message is returned:

"The PostgreSQL Database Server 8.1 service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534"

I'm trying not to transfer data using pg_dump as it's quite a lot of
data and highly time consuming. Does anyone know if this is possible.
I've verified that there is no .pid file in the DATA directory. Are
there other files I am missing? Anything else I might try?

Thanks,

Alfred Lau

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Rodrigo HjortDate: 2006-01-17 17:11:23