Re: PgFoundry Move

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-17 00:13:51
Lists: pgsql-www

> I'm not sure why going with CMD means this has to be on linux.
Because we are a Linux shop it has nothing to do with FBSD
as much as it has everything to do with Linux. As I said earlier
I can run FBSD, I prefer Linux.

Having one OS in the facility greatly decreases costs in maintenance,
administration etc.. and allows us to keep up to date on important
things easier.

> Surely
> someone there could get a box up and running FBSD to the point where
> someone remote could finish install and config. Or just ship a
> pre-installed box there...
Sure and I could easily do so myself but see above.

> affairs) seems folly. I guess I can see using jail if it makes failover
> easy (I've never used it myself, but I don't know of any reason why it'd
> add appreciable overhead),
Well done correctly a jail isn't any more useful then a standard
server, shared or otherwise. It is just a matter of documentation and
scripting.

> but trying to run something that big in a
> shared environment is pretty silly. If anything I'd say it's big enough
> that there should be more than one machine hosting it, such as database
> server, webserver, shell/SCM server.
It should be noted that Pgfoundry does not take a ton of resources
at this time. Although having it on a machine with almost 50 other
vms is quite silly.

> I know there's a lot to be said for everything running on the same OS,
> but the fact is pgFoundry has been sucking wind to various degrees for
> months now; if we can't fix that quickly while staying on FBSD and we've
> got offers to handle OS-level admin then we need to look at moving. What
> we can't do is let this drag on for another year.
That is kind of my point.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/