Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-19 19:29:06
Lists: pgsql-www

- --On Sunday, November 19, 2006 11:17:33 -0800 "Joshua D. Drake"
<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

>> > You continue to operate under the assumption that SPF has something to
>> > do with spam.  It doesn't.
>> Then obviously you are not as well-informed as you like to think you are:
>> "SpamAssassin 3.0 supports SPF to detect and penalize header forgery."
> Marc if your goal is to help eliminate spam or at least ease spam
> detection, why not focus on other spam products such as Dspam or Razor?

Actually, we use Spamassassin + Razor + Pyzor + Bayes + Spamcop right now,
using Maia Mailguard as a front end ... I have 60k "unconfirmed spam" sitting
in the database right now, most of which is scoring >20 ... I go through
several hundred a week (the lowest scoring stuff) for all of the mailing lists,
so that I'm adding to the Razor/Pyzor/Spamcop/Bayes database ... but that only
keeps the mail from the lists, it doesn't keep them from the server(s) ... and
I'm not just focusing on email, but spam as a whole ...

How many on this list do anything to contribute to Razory/Pyzor/Spamcop, but
make use of Spamassassin?  I know until I setup Maia here, that it was just way
to much work to report each message individually ...

The thing is, 'checking for spam as it comes in' doesn't get rid of, or reduce,
the problem ... SPF might not be it either ... but, if (in a perfect world)
every mail server forced something like SPF, so that ppl could only send email
through a legit mail server (ie. email through a mail server, mail through a mail server, etc)
... would that not reduce the overall spam on the 'Net?

I don't know the answer to this, nor do I truly believe anyone here on this
list can say with certainty ... all my goal was with adding a simple SPF record
was to try and further reduce the possibility of someone using
for spam purposes, as well as providing more information to spam filters as to
whether or not email addressed that way should be concerned legit or not ...

Until someone devises the 'perfect solution to spam', I would think that a
series of 'less then perfect ones' would at least help combat it ...

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org                              MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype:        ICQ . 7615664
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (FreeBSD)