Re: Running Postgres on CD - With Win32

From: Dennis Wagner <wagner(at)Spheron(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Peter Childs <peterachilds(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Running Postgres on CD - With Win32
Date: 2006-01-01 15:30:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Hi Peter!<br>
Of course I don't want to just include a client. For that i would just
use Npgsql and that's it. And I wouldn't need a CD/DVD at all. No, I
want to export some of the data stored in the (linux-)backend onto the
DVD together with a read-only-version of the client-app. And that
application is a .NET-(Windows-)app. That would spare me the efford to
create two different data-access-methods as I could just change the
connection-string and would be through... Perfect solution, iff I can
get postgres to run directly from that data-carrying DVD. And I don't
want to install postgres on any machine that DVD is run on. Most likely
users won't have admin-rights or even priviledged user-rights when they
use the created DVD.<br>
...Dennis<br>
Peter Childs schrieb:
type="cite">If all you want is a client you should just be able to
write it and it
will connect to the server and work. The client does not need to write
just the server. <br>
Peter Childs<br>
class="gmail_sendername">Dennis Wagner</b> &lt;<a
href="mailto:dennis(at)dennis-wagner(dot)info">dennis(at)dennis-wagner(dot)info</a>&gt;
wrote:</span>
style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Hi
everybody!<br>
I was using Postgres for quite some time now without any problems. Now<br>
I'm facing some new challenge: Create a Read-Only Client out of a given<br>
Application and put it on CD/DVD. As the Application uses a
PostgreSQL-DB (running on a FreeBSD-Server) I would like to at least<br>
keep the DB-Interface and use Postgres. The client-app, unfortunatly, is<br>
written for the .NET-Platform and doesn't run under mono (yet). So the
CD would need to be run under Windows for the moment. I found some<br>
Threads discussion using a Knoppix-like approach to get Postgres running<br>
on a read-only medium but they were all concentrationg on linux. As far
as I understand there is no way of turning WAL completely off (which<br>
would be ok for a CD-version as false writes cannot occur und thus<br>
cannot destroy the db-content). So then there are two possibilities:<br>
Send all writes to log-files to nirvana (like the good old BOFH used to
do) or into a memdrive. Has anybody accomplished the task to run<br>
PostgreSQL from CD (even on Linux) and is willing to contribute some of<br>
his/her experiences?<br>
Any help is greatly appreciated.<br>
...Dennis
TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Dennis Wagner

SpheronVR AG <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:wagner(at)spheron(dot)com">wagner(at)spheron(dot)com</a>
Hauptstrasse 186 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.spheron.com">http://www.spheron.com</a>

67714 Waldfischbach-Burgalben Phone +49 63 33 / 27 66 -24
Germany Fax +49 63 33 / 27 66 -11</pre>

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 3.5 KB