Re: TODO item: list prepared queries

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item: list prepared queries
Date: 2005-12-31 08:11:11
Lists: pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have applied the following patch to CVS HEAD to mark client-side
> prepare/bind/execute statements with "[client]" so they can be easily
> distinguished from SQL commands.

There is no such thing as a "client-side prepare/bind/execute"
statement. The distinction is between SQL-level and protocol-level
prepared queries. "[client]" seems wrong; perhaps "[protocol]" could be
used instead?

(I'm not thrilled by the idea of prefixing the statement log with
"[...]" in any case: it makes it more difficult to determine the actual
query string submitted by the user. However I can't see a better
alternative...)

> I hesitate to apply this logging change to 8.1.X.

I don't see any reason to do that -- this is not a bug fix. Furthermore,
there are backward-compatibility concerns.

-Neil