Re: pgAgent manpage

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PgAdmin Hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAgent manpage
Date: 2005-12-30 20:32:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> Sure. The only changes I'd suggest are summed up in the following line:
> A full documentation of pgAgent is available in pgadmin3's online
> Which reads better as
>
> Full documentation for pgAgent is available in pgAdmin III's online
>
> 'A full documentation' doesn't work, as documentation implies plural
> 'documents', whilst A is singular.
>
> The other is simply me with my marketing hat on - please use the full
> 'pgAdmin III' in text, and pgadmin3 for path/filenames etc.

ok, thanks for the corrections, I'll apply them before submitting the
stuff back to you.

>>>I guess we might also need a macro to make sure
>>>docbook-xml is actually installed - I can probably help with that if
>>>required, though it would probably be guesswork to a certain extent!
>>
>>As far as I know a patched version of docbook2x-man is deistributed
>>directly with PostgreSQL, maybe it would be interesting to take a look
>>to how they are organizing the stuff?
>
> Not as far as I've ever found (ever tried building the docs on a clean
> Slackware for example?), but regardless, the PostgreSQL docs are Docbook
> SGML, not XML.

Maybe we should not make pgAdmin III's tarball depend on docbook-xml...
I mean that the docbook2x package which contains the docbook2x-man
depends on many packages. IMHO, making pgAdmin III build depends on the
same dependencies just to build manpages would be more confusing than
useful...
I'd prefer that the machine building the source tarball contains the
mandatory software to build the manpage on the fly before building the
tarball and/or that we all generate the nroff format when submitting
updates to the docbook-xml manpages, just like I did when I've submitted
them for review. What do you think about it?

FYI, docbook2x Debian packge has the following dependencies:

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libxml2 (>= 2.6.11), libxslt1.1 (>=
1.1.7), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), perl (>= 5.6.0-16), libxml-sax-expat-perl,
libtext-wrapi18n-perl
Recommends: docbook-xml, docbook-xsl

> There are no localised docs shipped with PostgreSQL. We should not mix
> conventions in our source tarballs though, even if they do install into
> different places - let's put them all under doc/xx_XX/man.

ok, you're right.

Regards,
Raph