Re: plperl vs LC_COLLATE (was Re: Possible savepoint bug)

From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plperl vs LC_COLLATE (was Re: Possible savepoint bug)
Date: 2005-12-29 19:57:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at> writes:
>> This is a theory. The whole database was loaded using pg_restore, I still
>> have the original dump so I will have a look at the dump now. The database
>> actually contains some plperl functions.
>
> OK, I think I have reproduced the problem.  initdb in C locale, then
> start postmaster with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in its environment.  Then:

I had reproduced the problem here with a stripped down dump file from my
backup, but your test case is much simpler, as usual. :-)

> In the meantime, Michael, I'd suggest modifying your postmaster start
> script to force LANG=C, and then reindexing all indexes you have on
> text/varchar/char columns.  That should get you out of the immediate
> problem and prevent it from recurring before we have a fix.

I had already reindexed all tables in a clean session and have now added
"export LANG=C" to the profile of the postgres unix account. I cannot
reproduce the bug after doing so.

Thank you for your quick help debugging the problem.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold