Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-23 02:06:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

>>Where are we on this? In general I agree with Tom, but I have no time to
>>do the work. Unless someone has an immediate implementation, I suggest
>>that pro tem we add pg_md5_encrypt to src/interfaces/libpq/exports.txt,
>>which is the minimum needed to unbreak Windows builds, while this gets
>>sorted out properly.
>

> I had forgotten that the Windows build is broken. I'll see what I can
> do with throwing together the cleaner-API function.

Another question about these encrypted passwords. phpPgAdmin needs to
connect to databases that are sometimes on other servers.

I use the pg_connect() function to do this. This is passed down to
PQconenct() I presume.

So, can I specify the password to pg_connect() as
'md5127349123742342344234'?

ie. Can I CONNECT using an md5'd password?

Also, does this work for non-md5 host lines on the server, and how can I
avoid doing it on older (pre-7.2) PostgreSQL??

Chris