Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-22 23:49:17
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>

>>>So it appears that pg_md5_encrypt is not officially exported from libpq.
>>>Does anyone see a problem with adding it to the export list and the
>>>header file?
>>>

>>Is it different to normal md5? How is this helpful to the phpPgAdmin
>>project?
>>

>It would be better to export an API that is (a) less random (why one
>input null-terminated and the other not?) and (b) less tightly tied
>to MD5 --- the fact that the caller knows how long the result must be
>is the main problem here.
>
>Something like
> char *pg_gen_encrypted_passwd(const char *passwd, const char *user)
>with malloc'd result (or NULL on failure) seems more future-proof.

Where are we on this? In general I agree with Tom, but I have no time to
do the work. Unless someone has an immediate implementation, I suggest
that pro tem we add pg_md5_encrypt to src/interfaces/libpq/exports.txt,
which is the minimum needed to unbreak Windows builds, while this gets
sorted out properly.

cheers

andrew