Re: Read only transactions - Commit or Rollback

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Performance List <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Read only transactions - Commit or Rollback
Date: 2005-12-20 12:03:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi, Marcus,

Nörder-Tuitje wrote:
> afaik, this should be completely neglectable.
>
> starting a transaction implies write access. if there is none, You do
> not need to think about transactions, because there are none.

Hmm, I always thought that the transaction will be opened at the first
statement, because there _could_ be a parallel writing transaction
started later.

> postgres needs to schedule the writing transactions with the reading
> ones, anyway.

As I said, there usually are no writing transactions on the same database.

Btw, there's another setting that might make a difference:

Having ACID-Level SERIALIZABLE or READ COMMITED?

Markus