Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1

From: "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Juan Casero <caseroj(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1
Date: 2005-12-19 14:27:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sun Fire T2000 has 3 PCI-E and 1PCI-X slot free when shipped. Using
dual fiber channel 2G adapters you can get about 200MB x 8 = 1600MB/sec
IO bandwidth. Plus when 4G HBAs are supported that will double up. Now I
think generally that's good enough for 1TB raw data or 2-3 TB Database
size. Of course typically the database size in PostgreSQL space will be
in the 100-500GB range so a Sun Fire T2000 can be a good fit with enough
area to grow at a very reasonable price.

Of course like someone mentioned if all you have is 1 connection using
postgresql which cannot spawn helper processes/threads, this will be
limited by the single thread performance which is about 1.2Ghz compared
on Sun Fire T2000 to AMD64 (Sun Fire X4200) which pretty much has
similar IO Bandwidth, same size chassis, but the individual AMD64 cores
runs at about 2.4Ghz (I believe) and max you can get is 4 cores but you
also have to do a little trade off in terms of power consumption in lei
of faster single thread performance. So Choices are available with both
architecture. .However if you have a webserver driving a postgreSQL
backend, then UltraSPARC T1 might be a better option if you suddenly
wants to do 100s of db connections. The SunFire T2000 gives you 8 cores
with 32 threads in all running on the system.

With PostgreSQL 8.1 fix for SMP Bufferpool performance and with ZFS now
available in Solaris Express release, it would be interesting to see how
the combination of PostgreSQL 8.1 and ZFS works on Solaris since ZFS is
one of the perfect file systems for PostgreSQL where it wants all
complexities (like block allocation, fragmentation, etc) to the
underlying file systems and not re-implement its own infrastructure.

If somebody is already conducting their own tests, do let me know. As
soon as I get some free cycles, I want to run ZFS with PostgreSQL using
Solaris Express. If you have some preferred workloads do let me know.

Regards,
Jignesh