Re: Overriding the optimizer

From: Kyle Cordes <kyle(at)kylecordes(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overriding the optimizer
Date: 2005-12-17 01:42:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jaime Casanova wrote:

>>What I would
>>really like is for my DBMS to give me a little more pushback - I'd like
>>to ask it to run a query, and have it either find a "good" way to run
>>the query, or politely refuse to run it at all.
>>

>set statement_timeout in postgresql.conf

That is what I am doing now, and it is much better than nothing.

But it's not really sufficient, in that it is still quite possible for
users repeatedly trying an operation that unexpectedly causes excessive
DB usage, to load down the system to the point of failure. In other
words, I'd ideally like it to give up right away, not after N seconds of
table scanning my 100-million-row tables... and not with a timeout, but
with an explicit throwing up of its hands, exasperated, that it could
not come up with an efficient way to run my query.

Kyle Cordes
www.kylecordes.com