Re: Overriding the optimizer

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overriding the optimizer
Date: 2005-12-16 03:16:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
Craig A. James wrote:

> What would be cool would be some way the developer could alter the plan,
> but they way of doing so would strongly encourage the developer to send
> the information to this mailing list.  Postgres would essentially say,
> "Ok, you can do that, but we want to know why!"

Yeah it would - an implementation I have seen that I like is where the
developer can supply the *entire* execution plan with a query. This is
complex enough to make casual use unlikely :-), but provides the ability
to try out other plans, and also fix that vital query that must run
today.....

cheers

Mark