postgres version control?

From: Amit Kulkarni <akulka1(at)lsu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres version control?
Date: 2005-12-15 22:05:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Quite new to Postgres and initially driven here due to PostGIS. One
thing I was looking at was the ability to roll back to a certain time,
multiple editing, and QC. Basically a version control for databases. I
went through the TODO list and I don't see this listed there, unless it
is in the context of Point-in-time-recovery.

I asked my brother for help, and he sent me a link to Martin Fowler's
temporal site http://www.martinfowler.com/ap2/timeNarrative.html

(We discussed maintaining a master table, and recording all SQL DMLs,
basically a-rolling-your-own implementation.)

Fowler refers to Snodgrass 99, and I am waiting to get hold of
Snodgrass. Then today I came to know of Oracle Workspace Manager.

This product is used by Intergraph in their Geomedia Transaction
Manager, which relies totally on OWM to manage conflicts of multiple
edits in the same geographic area. I suspect that some other Geographic
vendors are also using OWM (Ionic RedSpider) though I am not sure. I
didn't post to the PostGIS list as I am thinking the question properly
belongs here.

Is anything like this in the works either here or in Bizgres?

Thanks in advance!