Getting results after networking error

From: jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Getting results after networking error
Date: 2005-08-09 15:16:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi all,

Here's something I've been trying to figure out about libpq, and I hope
perhaps someone here can shed some light on it.

I sometimes issue multiple queries at once using semicolons, so one call
returns multiple results. Now let's say my network connection to the
backend breaks and not all the results can be returned--I get a result
with some error code (wish I knew which, but that's another story)
followed by a NULL result to indicate that no more results are following,
right?

Now let's say that I issue my next query and the network connection
recovers in the process. I happily start retrieving results again, but
are they only results for the new query, or do I go through the remaining
results of the last query first?

Jeroen