Re: 64 Bit / Swap Issue?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: James Dey <james(at)mygus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 64 Bit / Swap Issue?
Date: 2005-12-05 17:04:35
Lists: pgsql-php
James Dey wrote:
> -->
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> We have been running our systems on high end Redhat ES 32 Bit servers
> without any sort of glitch. We have now set up a 64 bit Athlon server
> running Redhat ES, installed the Redhat PgSQL as well as the PHP5 RPM.

Do the machines have a different amount of RAM? There is no reason that
a 32 bit machine versus a 64bit machines should swap noticeably more
unless something has changed.

> /“Secondly "sar" is showing that you are dipping quite a bit into your
> swap space. When dealing with a database server, any time that you
> move from RAM to swap you will see a massive performance drop,
> especially when dealing with as much swap as this machine has. At its
> peak you were hitting 70%(700M) of swap. Since PostgreSQL is
> unsupported I don't have any suggestions on query optimizations.
> However, at this point upgrading your available RAM would be one of my
> best suggestions.”/

Well there response is correct but the question is why are you hitting
swap. Please see my quseton above.

> Does anyone have any experience on this? Most of the things I have
> read suggest that I move back to 32 bit but I do think it’s a step
> backward – that’s if this can be supported.

There is no reason for you to move back to 32bit.

Joshua D. Drake