Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 05 2005 ==

From: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 05 2005 ==
Date: 2005-12-05 10:18:35
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

David Fetter wrote:
> == PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 05 2005 ==
>

> Chris Campbell of Big Nerd Ranch shows how to lower a query's priority.
> http://weblog.bignerdranch.com/?p=11

I wouldn't normally bother nitpicking news items, but since this is
presumably being held up as expert advice and an example of something
particularly clever to do with your postgres database, we should suggest
that Chris should browse the pg mailing list archives. If he does he
will find numerous discussions that should be sufficient to persuade him
that lowering the priority of a postgres process is not a useful way to
effectively lower the priority of a query relative to other queries.
You're pretty much guaranteed to get priority inversion.

Pardon me for being grumpy, getting the kids to go to bed has been
harder than usual tonight :-).

Tim