Re: 8.03 versus 8.04

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: alex(dot)cotarlan(at)thomson(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.03 versus 8.04
Date: 2005-12-04 04:58:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/3/2005 1:34 PM, alex(dot)cotarlan(at)thomson(dot)com wrote:

> Can anyone specify from his/her experience what would be the benefits of using postgresql 8.04 versus 8.03 in terms of reliability and/or performance.

Unless forced because there is no other way to fix a bug, we do not
change any functionality of the system within a release branch. The
PostgreSQL version number has three components:

Every minor release has its own branch within the source repository.
Only bugfixes will be applied to a release branch. So you can safely
assume that the difference between x.y.z1 and x.y.z2 is reliablity and
very unlikely performance.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #