Re: createuser ignores stdin in 8.1.0?

From: Gary Horton <Gary(dot)Horton(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: createuser ignores stdin in 8.1.0?
Date: 2005-12-02 20:02:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton wrote:

> Gary Horton wrote:
>
>> ...and in 7.3.4, this works just fine, with the shell consuming the
>> stdin and redirecting it to the createuser command, which
>> subsequently doesn't bother the user with the prompt (i.e. the
>> prompts are responded to automatically). However, this doesn't work
>> at all in 8.1.0 -- regardless of the stdin redirection, the
>> createuser program appears to ignore the stdin information and
>> insists on prompting for the input instead.
>

> Don't know what's changed, but it could be something that happened
> when roles were introduced. A way to work around it would be to issue
> the SQL "CREATE USER... PASSWORD 'foo'" via psql.

That's a great idea, Richard - thanks, I'll give this a shot --

> Oh - anything else you come across in the upgrade would be of interest
> to many here, myself included ;-)

So far, so good in general -- I was unable to execute the regression
tests (installcheck) - the C compilation fails. But I'm successfully
executing all of our own app-level tests, so I'm optimistic...other than
that, I did send out a list of questions around configure options, but
haven't gotten any responses; but I will post to the list about anything
else I come across!

-gh