Re: Can't connect Win XP client to Linux server

From: Geoff Lane <geoff(at)gjctech(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostgreSQL ODBC <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't connect Win XP client to Linux server
Date: 2009-05-20 13:30:29
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Wednesday, May 20, 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

>> Are you supplying the correct username/password combination in the ODBC
>> connection? - It sounds like this sort of a problem.

> Did you set a password for the "geoff" database user at all?
> It isn't going to automatically use your system-level password...
> see ALTER USER ... PASSWORD ...

D'oh! I assumed that roles created via the "createuser" utility had
the password for the system user account. SELECT * FROM pg_roles;
showed passwords for all roles where I expected nulls or empty strings
where no password was set. Doing as you suggested did the trick.

My thanks both to Tom and to Raymond.

--
Geoff Lane