Re: BUG #6660: losing schema name in pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chaitany Kulkarni <shreeseva(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6660: losing schema name in pg_dump
Date: 2012-05-22 15:03:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Chaitany Kulkarni <shreeseva(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I didn't understand when user have defined schema names explicitly in
> definition of the objects and most database developers insist on writing
> schema names explicitly, why pg_dump is not outputting it as it is.

The short answer to that is that the internal representation of views
and other objects only stores object identities, not how they were named
in the input. We don't store whitespace or layout choices either, and
there are various other ways that the output can vary from what you
typed. So really, if you're intent on that, keeping the original source
file is the way to go.