NEXT MEETING: Guava (Gui-As-View), June 12th, 7:30pm, PSU

From: Selena Deckelmann <sdeckelmann(at)chrisking(dot)com>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: NEXT MEETING: Guava (Gui-As-View), June 12th, 7:30pm, PSU
Date: 2007-05-21 20:41:48
Lists: pdxpug

Topic: Guava (Gui-As-View)

Speaker: James Terwilliger
When: Tuesday, June 12th, 7:15pm
Where: Room 102, Engineering Building, PSU
Corner of SW 4th and College Ave

PLEASE NOTE: Change of venue and change of Tuesday!!

We will have the meeting room for exactly one hour. After we'll take
a poll and then go to a nearby pub. Email me privately if you'd like
me to call/text you regarding which pub we choose.

James Terwilliger is a PhD student at Portland State. He has been our
token Python programmer, and will moving (temporarily?) away from
Portland shortly after his talk.

So see him talk while you can!

---
Guava (Gui-As-View) is a project that I started for my Ph.D.
dissertation.
The basic idea of Guava is to transform the user interface of a forms-
based
application (or any application whose use is for both data entry and
retrieval) into a query interface that connects to the same data but
retains
all of the contextual information of the original user interface.
The idea
here is that the new query interface could be easy to learn to a non-
geek,
since the original UI may have had considerable design effort behind
it to
make it accessible to domain experts.

Thus far, the prototype for Guava has been implemented on Microsoft
tools
(boo! hiss!). However, if our NIH funding comes through, we will be
opening
up the source code under the Apache 2.0 license. At some point, we
would
like to migrate the tools to that they can work for other systems, and
Postgres is the most likely first candidate.

The most likely places for after-talk alcohol would be the Cheerful
Tortoise
(sports bar, and closest venue), the Market Street Pub (McMenamins),
and the
McCormick and Schmick's on the waterfront.