Re: ice-broker scan thread

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ice-broker scan thread
Date: 2005-11-29 17:28:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>By default when you use aio you get the version in libc (-lrt IIRC)
>which has the issue I mentioned, probably because it's probably
>optimised for the lots-of-network-connections type program where
>multiple outstanding requests on a single fd are not meaningful. You
>can however link in some other library which gives you kernel support.
>However, I don't have a new enough kernel to have the kernel support so
>I havn't tested that.

Actually, after reading up on the current state of things, I'm not sure you
can even get POSIX aio on top of kernel aio in Linux. There are also a
few limitations in the 2.6 aio implementation that might prove troublesome:
for example it only works with O_DIRECT.

libaio gives userland access to the kernel aio api (which is different
from POSIX aio).