Re: ice-broker scan thread

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ice-broker scan thread
Date: 2005-11-29 04:09:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Gavin Sherry wrote:

> MySQL, Oracle and others implement read-ahead threads to simulate async IO

I always believed that Oracle used async file I/O. Not that I've seen their
code, but I'm fairly sure they funded the addition of kernel aio to Linux
a few years back.

But....Oracle comes from a time long ago when threads and decent
filesystems didn't exist, so some of the things they do may not be
appropriate
to add to a product that doesn't have them today.

Now...network async I/O...that'd be really useful in my world...