Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date: 2005-11-29 03:30:53
Lists: pgsql-performance
Brendan Duddridge wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. So how is that different than something like
> Slony2 or pgcluster with multi-master replication? Is it similar
> technology? We're currently looking for a good clustering solution
> that will work on our Apple Xserves and Xserve RAIDs.

I think you need to be more specific about what you're trying to do.
'clustering' encompasses so many things that it means almost nothing by
itself.

slony provides facilities for replicating data. Its primary purpose is
to improve reliability. MPP distributes both data and queries. Its
primary purpose is to improve performance for a subset of all query types.