Re: Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!

From: Ilias Goudaropoulos <ig(at)freemail(dot)gr>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem Upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 (WinXP) ...not still solved!!
Date: 2005-11-24 19:12:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have the same problem. I asked some other people I know of having the
same problem, as well, and it seems that the do not know what to do. It
is not a problem with firewalls or antiviruses that came about a lot
lately regarding PostgreSQL 8.0xx.

I have just reinstalled Windows XP SP2 from scratch, installed on it
just PostgreSQL 8.0.4, created a database, uninstalled PostgreSQL 8.0.4,
removed all garbage left by the unistaller in registry, tried to install
the new PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2.

That was the end of me. It produced the same errors you mention.
Nothing I have tried can solve the problem. Only a clean Windows XP SP2
reinstallation and an installation of PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2 straight from
the beginning.

It seems to me that the installer does not work well with Windows and
leaves something behind that prohibits installation of the later version.

Also when someone uninstalls the database the installer leaves the db
user account -that was created during installation- intact, instead of
deleting it. Why is that necessary?

I think that the installer needs debugging or even redesign if it turns
out that it is the problem.

What is the point of PostgreSQL being the best free open source database
if people can not even install it without reading through the mailing
lists for weeks on end?

Excuse me for my feelings but I am trying for weeks now to install the
bloody thing and nothing seems to work.

Also despite posting to the "novice" list, it seems that all users in
this list are "Very Advanced" to be bothered answering me or "Info".

What is a more serious Problem to you all? People not been able to even
install the database or problems such as "Linux DB designer tools", "
Large Objects in table ", " Application using PostgreSQL as a back end
(experienced programmers please)" and the like?

So much for novice or advanced users helping each other.

http://www.freemail.gr - .