Re: Postgres Database slow

From: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Database slow
Date: 2005-11-21 19:10:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Nirmal Kumar wrote:

>Hi
>
>We are facing a slowness problem in posgres Database.
>Whenver we query a data it is very very slow.It is
>running on the IBM ISERIES I5 Server.
>
>HARDWARE: IBM Iseries I5 PPC Server
>OS: SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISE SERVER 9.0
>POSTGRESSQL: 7.4.2
>WEB SERVER: APACHE2
>
>Using the command line also it is taking long time to
>query a database.
>
>Any Cluses

Nope, because you haven't given anything for us to work with.

It could the database configuration. It could be the hardware. It
could be poorly written queries. It could be that you aren't vacuuming
the database often enough, ect, ect.

A good place to start looking would be to use the explain command to
look at the query plans for some of your queries. Post some to the list
if you need a hand.

--
Brad Nicholson 416-673-4106