Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date: 2005-11-17 20:39:55
Lists: pgsql-performance
>> So what happens is that under reasonable load we are actually waiting
>> for the CPU to process the code.
>>

> This is the performance profile for PHP, not for Postgresql.  This is
> the post
And your point? PostgreSQL benefits directly from what I am speaking
about as well.

>> Performance of PHP, not postgresql.

Actually both.

> [snip]
>
> Running postgresql on a single drive RAID 1 with PHP on the same
> machine is not a typical installation.

Want to bet? What do you think the majority of people hosting at
rackshack, rackspace,
superrack etc... are doing? Or how about all those virtual hosts?

> 300ms for PHP in CPU time?  wow dude - that's quite a page.  PHP
> typical can handle up to 30-50 pages per second for a typical OLTP
> application on a single CPU box.  Something is really wrong with that
> system if it takes 300ms per page.

There is wait time associated with that because we are hitting it with
50-100 connections at a time.

Joshua D. Drake