Not clear on what PQgetResult does

From: David Rysdam <drysdam(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Not clear on what PQgetResult does
Date: 2005-11-17 19:00:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I don't understand in what sense PQgetResult is asynchronous. Obviously
PQsendQuery returns immediately and apparently PQgetResult() allows me
to get separate results from multiple queries submitted together, but...

Let's say I have a table with 1,000,000 rows and I PQsendQuery() a query
to get them all. When I call PQgetResult() the first time, will it
block until all 1,000,000 are ready, or will it send back everything
that's ready at the time I call it?

If the latter, is pgtcl's pg_getresult supposed to work the same way?