Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date: 2005-11-16 14:51:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
 >Spend a fortune on dual core CPUs and then buy crappy disks...  I bet
 >for most applications this system will be IO bound, and you will see a
 >nice lot of drive failures in the first year of operation with
 >consumer grade drives.

I guess I've never bought into the vendor story that there are
two reliability grades. Why would they bother making two
different kinds of bearing, motor etc ? Seems like it's more
likely an excuse to justify higher prices. In my experience the
expensive SCSI drives I own break frequently while the cheapo
desktop drives just keep chunking along (modulo certain products
that have a specific known reliability problem).

I'd expect that a larger number of hotter drives will give a less reliable
system than a smaller number of cooler ones.