Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Luke Lonergan <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>,Adam Weisberg <Aweisberg(at)seiu1199(dot)org>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date: 2005-11-16 13:58:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
>> I agree - you can get a very good one from www.acmemicro.com or
>> www.rackable.com with 8x 400GB SATA disks and the new 3Ware 9550SX SATA
>> RAID controller for about $6K with two Opteron 272 CPUs and 8GB of RAM
>> on a Tyan 2882 motherboard.  We get about 400MB/s sustained disk read
>> performance on these (with tuning) on Linux using the xfs filesystem,
>> which is one of the most critical factors for large databases.
>>

> Spend a fortune on dual core CPUs and then buy crappy disks...  I bet
> for most applications this system will be IO bound, and you will see a
> nice lot of drive failures in the first year of operation with
> consumer grade drives.

There is nothing wrong with using SATA disks and they perform very well.
The catch is, make sure
you have a battery back up on the raid controller.

> Spend your money on better Disks, and don't bother with Dual Core IMHO
> unless you can prove the need for it.

The reason you want the dual core cpus is that PostgreSQL can only
execute 1 query per cpu
at a time, so the application will see a big boost in overall
transactional velocity if you push two
dual-core cpus into the machine.

Joshua D. Drake