Re: Major Problem, need help! Can't run our website!

From: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major Problem, need help! Can't run our website!
Date: 2005-11-15 03:48:38
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

ITS ONT Alcazar, Jose Aguedo C wrote:
> Anyone!
>
> Before anything else, I have no background in PostgreSQL. But I have a
> little knowledge in Linux. We used postgreSQL to run one of our website. It
> runs in Redhat Linux 7.3. Our System Administrator, who used to maintain
> this server, had resigned and didn't have a proper documentation on how to
> maintain this server. Right now, our NEW System Administrator is clearing
> some logs in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog in able to free some space in the
> /var file system. It used to work before, but now, its not working anymore.
> Information below is the message we are encountering when we are trying to
> connect to the website. Please, ANYONE, help us!

We've seen reports of people firing this particular foot-gun before,
haven't we? Would it make sense to rename pg_xlog to something that
doesn't sound like it's "just" full of log files? Eg pg_wal - something
where the half-educated will have no idea what it is, and therefore not
think they know what they can do with it.

Tim

Tim Allen tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au
Proximity Pty Ltd http://www.proximity.com.au/