Re: Print advertising

From: nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Print advertising
Date: 2005-11-21 02:28:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

May have misunderstood me a bit, though Gavin's idea
is a good one and needed.

I would never suggest advertising. In my mind it is
contra to "the movement". I'm suggesting a press
release that is really a - What it is & Why you need
it, letter. Small village (<50,000 people) papers
are hungry for news. Most have 2 or 3 part-time
reporters that write about the local football team's
performance and assorted local tidbits.
I think they would run an article as a press
release. Not email --- just a regular old piece of
paper with a stamp. Hand addressed with a real
signature. The release should be non-tech; write a
bit about "us vs them" (small vs big) AND make a
call for the local PC fixer + the school admin and
even the local government to come to the site.....
this is where Gavin's idea would fit in nicely.

Personalized printing is a large part of my
business. I don't have a problem sending out 10 K
of these over the course of a year on my nickel,
including postage.

Just need a good letter and content Gavin mentioned
--- kind of a STARTER'S KIT.

But I agree --- no advertising. Waste of money.

After all, the release would be from one community
to another.

Thanks,
Mike