Re: automake

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: automake
Date: 2005-11-10 09:38:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> On 9/11/05 8:22 pm, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> wrote:
>

>>How to handle the [tar-ustar] option in configure.ac? I had to remove it
>>in my setup.
>

> You probably need to upgrade to automake 1.9.6.
>
> When I was packaging 1.4 the other night, I suddenly realised that whoever
> added the slony docs ( :-p ), forgot to add them to makefile.am, so they
> weren't included in the tarball. Having added them to the makefile, I
> rebuilt the tarball only to get errors from tar about three of the slony
> docs having too-long filenames, and find that the tarball itself way 12MB
> instead of the normal 6!!
>
> The tar-ustar option makes tar work in a mode in which 255 character names
> are supported instead of the default 99. A one off upgrade to automake on
> the /older/ developer systems seemed far less pain than manually renaming
> the slony docs forever more.

Did that, automake works now, but Makefile will have a missing separator
in line 377.

automake-1.9 will claim that *.m4 is created by aclocal-1.4, but
aclocal-1.9 will have throw warnings and automake-1.9 will fail then.
If 1.9 is needed, it should be called explicitely in bootstrap, no?

Current status: can't build on linux.
automake/aclocal are 1.9.6

Regards,
Andreas