Re: Problem with columns of type Text and Drupal/Prado/PHP5

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: hunkybill(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with columns of type Text and Drupal/Prado/PHP5
Date: 2006-08-02 18:09:13
Lists: pgsql-php

On Aug 2, 2006, at 12:05 PM, hunkybill(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:

> Examining the database storage for PHP sessions, it uses a column
> marked as TEXT to store session data. In my case of integrating not
> only Drupal, but Prado, I have extra data from Prado being saved
> into the session table. With mysql, columns of type TEXT are
> actually BLOBS. When running Drupal and Prado with mysql, session
> management works fine. With Drupal, Prado and pgsql however, I have
> a serious problem.

You need to use the bytea column type. If you need examples, Drupal
prior to 4.7 used a text column in their cache table which caused
problems with PostgreSQL. In 4.7 it has been changed to bytea. So a
comparison of the 4.6/4.7 Drupal sources should give you clues if you
want to alter additional fields for binary data because of the Prado.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL