Re: Missing per-user variable?

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing per-user variable?
Date: 2005-11-05 17:49:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:
>> In the variables tab in the user settings, the dropdown
>> lacks the variable "role", but in psql "alter user <user> set role
>> <role>" works (It make the user assume role <role> immediatly
>> upon login, without having to type "set role <role").
>>
>> Additionally, I would be nice if one could specify a role
>> in the server dialog, which would then be assumed after login.
>> Currently, it's not possible to use the pgadmin-gui
>> to change settings that you are not allowed to change as "you",
>> but would be allowed to change after a "set role <some role>".
>
> Well, it's not been displayed because pg_settings won't return it.
I took that question to pgsql-general - seems strange that pg_settings
omits the variable role...

>> But this is probably post 1.4...
> Added now for 1.4 :-)
Well, what I meant to be post-1.4 was to create an additional field
"Initial role" in the server-dialog, so that a user who has been granted
rights to e.g. the roles "dev" and "admin" can choose as which one he
wants to connect to the db. pgadmin would then needs to issue a "set
role <chosen role>" command after connecting to postgres.

As far as I can see from the commit-mails you didn't add that one, but
maybe I'll be suprised when I test the next nightly build ;-))

greetings, Florian Pflug