Re: Compiling PgAdmin for Debian

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, PgAdmin Hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Compiling PgAdmin for Debian
Date: 2005-11-05 13:28:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 11:15 +0100, Raphaël Enrici wrote:
>
>>as far as I remember it has something to do with a non "pure64" install.
>>What distro are you running exactly? Is it sarge with an amd64 kernel
>>installed on + x86_64 addons packages? Or is it a real debian-pure64?
>>I'd bet for the former.
>
> I am running a real pure 64-bit Linux, uname -a:
> Linux Panoramix 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp #1 SMP Wed Jun 1 00:01:27 CEST
> 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm not a 64bits expert but uname -a is not enough it just ack that you
run a 64 bit kernel. It does not confirm that the rest of the OS is a 64
bits one. I was asking this just because I encountered such warnings
while running a 64 bit kernel on a sarge x86 with amd64-libs-dev
packages and gcc-3.4. My OS was a 32bit OS in a userland point of view,
the kern was 64 bits and I was able to procude 64bits binaries which
were able to be launched on the host.

So, you are running a pure64 OS that's it? (sorry to ask twice;)

>>What's your goal exactly? Would you like pgadmin3 to be built 64bits or
>>just use it on top of sarge debian-amd64?
>
> I want to build a 64 bit version, no more chrooting.
>

>>> fakeroot debian/rules clean
>>>/usr/bin/fakeroot: line 150: debian/rules: Permission denied
>
> Part of the problem may be the directory I am running the command in:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-build.en.html says

> Enter the program's main directory and then issue this command:
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
>
> I first assumed that that the programs main directory would be the root
> of the un-tarred source package (~/pgadmin3-1.4.0-beta3, which is also
> the directory I ran configure from). That did not work. Than I tried
> ~/pgadmin3-1.4.0-beta3/src, being the root of the sources. Did not work
> either. In both cases it complained of not finding debian/rules.
>
> Last thing I tried was running the command from
> ~/pgadmin3-1.4.0-beta3/pkg. That complained about "make: *** No rule to
> make target `configure', needed by `config.status'. Stop."
>

> So basically what I would like to know: to create a Debian package, in
> which directory do I have run what command and in what sequence???

The packages files are in a wrong location and they are there just as a
reminder. So, if you want to build just do this:
cd ~/pgadmin3-1.4.0-beta3
cp -a pkg/debian .
optionnaly edit debian/changelog by running dch -i
then launch the binary build:
dpkg-buildpackage -b -us -uc -rfakeroot

Feel free to ask more if something goes wrong. I'd be glad seeing an
amd64 package around. :)

Cheers,
Raphaël