regression failures on WIndows in machines with some non-English locales

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: regression failures on WIndows in machines with some non-English locales
Date: 2005-11-01 01:19:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have become aware that regression is failing due to ordering
differences on Windows machines in some non-English locales
(specifically, Czech, but the potential is there for more failures).

The problem seems to be that the regression suite and initdb don't do
enough between them to ensure that the tests are run in C locale.

The simple solution seems to be to add --no-locale to the initdb args in
pg_regress.sh. I have asked Petr Jelinek (one of our Czech users) to
test this. If it works as I expect it to (buildfarm has done this for
installcheck tests for some time) I'd like to add this to both the HEAD
and 8.0 branches. I know it's very late in the cycle, but it seems very
low risk to me, and I'd like to have regression working on as broad a
set of platforms as possible.

If people prefer, I could add it just for the Windows case - Unix
platforms won't see the effect I propose to remedy, as their setlocale
works from the environment, unlike Windows.

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew