Re: Duplicate-key-detection failure case found in btree

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate-key-detection failure case found in btree
Date: 2002-01-02 16:09:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>     It  always scares me that bugs like this can live untriggered
>     for multiple releases.  What  else  is  lingering  under  the
>     surface ...

FWIW, I don't think that this bug did survive for multiple releases
(though it very nearly made it into 7.2).  The present form of
bt_check_unique and bt_insertonpg was new code in 7.1, replacing
the BTP_CHAIN method of handling identical keys.  That code had a
lot of bugs of its own, but I don't think it had this one.  I will
take the blame for introducing this bug into 7.1 ...