Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error

From: John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error
Date: 2005-10-30 16:24:08
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi Tom

You're not wrong about panicking! This is the worst Sunday I've had in a
while... No sunday lunch or time with the kids... :(

This database supports a (normally 24/7) website and we couldn't
tolerate any possibility of data corruption. I had to make a judgement
call on preventing any/further data loss or corruption, and switching
over to the slave seemed the safest thing to do (based on my ignorance
of the wraparound problem).

I can restore the file system backup of pgsql/data to another database
server and then get the info from pg_database. Or I can import a dump
file from 15 minutes before I re-inited the database...

What exactly am I looking for though?

We don't use OIDs when creating tables...

Could Slon 1.1.0 be causing a problem for us? It must be creating and
deleting bucket loads of records as part of its regular activity...

What am I likely to have missed in my vacuuming? Because whatever I did
wrong is going to break our current live database at some point soon.

Thanks

John