Buffer ovverun and stack corruption

From: David Vaillancourt <david_v(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Buffer ovverun and stack corruption
Date: 2005-10-29 13:52:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Well, followed your advice and installed the package:
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp?file=odbc%2Fversions%2Fsnapshots%2F*psqlodbc-08_01_0005.zip

*After which I created the Windows ODBC Source (The Unicode Driver) for
my application to connect to. But I still get a buffer ovverrun
and stack corruption that I was getting originally. Here are some specs:

1) My machine Windows 2k server (Both app and DB are one the same box).
2) PostgreSQL Database Server 8.0.0-beta3-dev1 ( With a valid DB created
in UNICODE).
3) My application uses ODBC through MFC's CDatabase and CRecordset (App
is UNICODE built).

Upon connection I get a buffer overrun and stack corruption. Although
when I compile my App in
MBCS, all seems to work Ok. As I've told you, I download the source of
the Driver and had been
able to do a fix for it, and it seems to work perfectly. Here's the line
where it all happens in my app:

// My application trying to connect to the Db

CDatabase synsoftDb;
synsoftDb.OpenEx(

_T("DSN=PostgreSQL;DATABASE=synsoftdb;SERVER=localhost;PORT=5432;UID=someUser;PWD=SomePassword"),
CDatabase::noOdbcDialog );

It looks like when I connect in UNICODE, the psqlodbc code 'sees' a big
output buffer in:

(From psqlodbc file : *dlg_specific.c*)
makeConnectString(char *connect_string, const ConnInfo *ci, UWORD len)
{
char got_dsn = (ci->dsn[0] != '\0');
char encoded_conn_settings[LARGE_REGISTRY_LEN];
UWORD hlen;
/*BOOL abbrev = (len <= 400);*/
BOOL abbrev = (len < 1024); // When my app connects in MBCS
len == 512,
// but in Unicode len == 1024,
which causes
// extra data to be filled below

/* fundamental info */
sprintf(connect_string,
"%s=%s;DATABASE=%s;SERVER=%s;PORT=%s;UID=%s;PWD=%s",
got_dsn ? "DSN" : "DRIVER",
got_dsn ? ci->dsn : ci->drivername,
ci->database,
ci->server,
ci->port,
ci->username,
ci->password);

encode(ci->conn_settings, encoded_conn_settings);

/* extra info */
hlen = strlen(connect_string);
if (!abbrev)
// This fills the buffer way more than needed, then it's converted
// into wide chars and busts, thus creating corruption

So for the time being I've replaced :
if(!abbrev)
with
if(0)

This way no extraneous data is written, and this seems to take care of
the problem for now. I'm afraid this is a 'patch' that
might not hold in other cases. Since you know the code and architecture
better than I do, what do you make of this? If this
isnt clear, I will try to give more detailed and structured information
if needed. Your input will be greatly apprecidated.

Thanks!