localhost in pgpass file?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: localhost in pgpass file?
Date: 2005-10-26 19:44:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Can anyone explain to me why 'localhost' in a .pgpass file matches both
a Unix socket and a tcp localhost connection?

Also, there is no documentation at all that I can see to cover the Unix
socket case. I found the information after much looking through asking
on IRC, where luckily Andrew(at)Supnews knew the answer.

cheers

andrew