Re: [BUGS] BUG #1993: Adding/subtracting negative

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, <kg(at)kgb(dot)une(dot)edu(dot)au>, <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, <hb(at)x256(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #1993: Adding/subtracting negative
Date: 2005-10-26 15:26:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If you are going to roll this back in 8.1 to reevaluate the issue, I
think the ANSI/ISO standards should be reviewed as part of that
reevaluation. The standard seems rich enough in this area to
address all of the concerns I've seen expressed on this thread.
All the usual advantages for standards compliance accrue, as well.

So, for example, you could specify:

-- to get the interval in days, hours, and minutes:
(timestampx - timestampy) day to minute

-- to get the interval in days, to 2 decimal places:
(timestampx - timestampy) day{2)

-- to get the interval in hours:
(timestampx - timestampy) hour

>>> Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> >>>

I guess my point is that we are changing 8.0.X behavior so we better be
sure it is now the way we want it to remain.