Re: translation question regarding guru hints

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Miha Radej <miha(dot)radej(at)siix(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: translation question regarding guru hints
Date: 2005-10-24 12:03:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Miha Radej schrieb:

> ***************************
> i'm also working on translating the hint files and tips.txt. i presume
> tips.txt is utf-8 encoded? i saved it as utf-8 and slovenian characters
> were displayed correctly.

Please test it, I don't know what wxWidgets makes from it.
Currently, I'm not even sure that we'd display a translated version
correctly, pleast test that before spending useless effort.

> also, the html files in hints directory: the meta tag says they're
> windows-1252. i've tried saving them as windows-1250 but that worked ok
> only on windows, i got garbage for some chars on linux. right now i'm
> using iso-8859-2, which seems to display all characters correctly, but i
> haven't tested that on windows yet. i'll send these files later today or
> tomorrow. which character set is best to use and which character sets
> are available? for slovenian characters, i can choose these: win-1250,
> latin2 and utf8. which will cause the least trouble?

Use the charset that fits your needs best (but use the same encoding
throughout that directory, some files may be assembled to a single one
at runtime). If it displays correctly in any standard browser, it should
be good in pgAdmin as well.

> i have resorted to using html codes, such as #268, #269, etc. for some
> special characters. i use windows-1252 character encoding, as is used in
> english hint files. this seems to work both on linux (tested on suse
> 9.3) and windows (tested on a w2k platform with a binary snapshot dated
> 23. 10. 2005). is this an acceptable "solution" or is there some other
> way this can/should/is preferred to be done?

If it displays correctly, use what you like best.

Regards,
Andreas