Re: plpgsql - Insert from a record variable?

From: "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_postgresql_sql(at)chezphil(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Riccardo G(dot) Facchini" <abief_ag_-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Phil Endecott <spam_from_postgresql_sql(at)chezphil(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql - Insert from a record variable?
Date: 2004-06-21 17:23:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Phil> Insert from a record variable?

Riccardo> Try insert into table select r.*;

Tom> in 7.5
Tom> insert into table select r.*;
Tom> insert into table values(r.*);
Tom> so long as r is declared to be of a named rowtype (not just
Tom> RECORD)

Thanks! Unfortunately I need record, rather than %rowtype. See my later email where I describe how I am trying to use this with inheritance; the function looks up a row in a base table, finds the derived table in which it really exists using pg_class.relname, and then inserts a modified copy of the row in the derived table.

I'm not concerned about the performance issues to do with pre-planning the queries. I think what I really need is an introspection mechanism so that I can loop over each element of the record and construct the insert as a string. Maybe this is possible using a different server-side language? I've just had an idea: perhaps rather than inspecting the record variable to see what fields it contains, I can look at the table to see what columns it contains (since this amounts to the same thing). Presumably I can do this using information_schema.columns. I'll have a go.

--Phil.