Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL
Date: 2005-10-18 20:03:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:36:04AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>Sure, it's just some clerical work.  Here's what needs to be done:
>>
>>1) search the archives of this list and assemble a list of PostgreSQL
>>users.
>
> Hrm, suggestions on what to search on? I haven't seen many emails about
> 'another company using PostgreSQL'...

I find searching for resumes to be a good way to find references
in a specific industry.  For example, for use in the military:

For example http://kennethbowen.com/kbresume.html
"Northrop Grumman... Navy...
  Develop J2EE application to store user profiles for the Navy Enterprise
  Portal and the Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center(FNMOC)
  Portal using JBoss application server and PostgreSQL database."

>>2) Contact each one that has not already been quoted/case studied and
>>verify that it's OK to put their name/logo up.

If a company themselves announces that they use PostgreSQL we could
probably put up their name and links to where they make such claims.

That would include:

Cisco:

    Cisco's Carrier-Sensitive Routing application uses PostgreSQL.

      http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4371/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00800c252c.html
      http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4371/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00800c252e.html#xtocid3

      " The postgreSQL database is a relational database management
      system. A database in this management system stores entities
      such as carriers, rules, contacts, routes, and the relationships
      among the entities."

    Cisco's IP/TV Program Manager

      http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/webscale/iptv/iptv51/pm_usrgd/chap4.htm

      "OnDemand Manager and IP/TV Program Manager Administration
      use a PostgreSQL database to store information about on-demand
      programs and servers. A second database stores information
      about the journal records of OnDemand sessions. "

Apple:

   http://developer.apple.com/appleapplications/ardsql.html

   "This article shows you how to access the data in Apple Remote
   Desktop 2's PostgreSQL database"

and many others.   Though I agree contacting them for permission
to also use their logo would be very nice to them and to us.

Also, the PostGIS mailinglist is full of good examples or
larger systems.  For example:

GlobeXplorer
    GlobeXplorer has an 18 terrabyte postgresql database with the
    postgis extention:
    http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2005-March/007398.html

Sanz (DOD, USGS, USDA, Army Corp of Engineers, Navy)
   Sanz manages "tens of terrabyte datasets of raster and vector
   data for the DOD, USGS, USDA, Army Corp of
   Engineers, Navy, etc." using postgresql and postgis
   http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2005-March/007399.html

Finally, I think it'd be great of the Postgresql website had
a search-engine that crawled all the various job-sites (dice/monster)
because job postings requiring postgresql skills are an excellent
indicator that a company uses postgresql.