Re: Determin if cascade is being used

From: Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Determin if cascade is being used
Date: 2005-10-17 19:37:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
Tom Lane wrote:
>>>Couldn't you do that as an ON DELETE SET NULL foreign key reference,
>>>instead of using a custom trigger?
>

>>How simple would it be to have the three tables linked in a circular
>>fashion?
>

> People do it.  I dunno if there are any gotchas ... but if there are,
> you could complain about a bug instead of asking for a feature we're
> unlikely to provide ;-)
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Would it be a bug however?   Is it a bug to remove elements required for
referential-integrity before the cascade is complete?

Personally I'd prefer to just know if this is a CASCADE and disable the
trigger for such purposes.   May seem odd, but it can certainly speed
things up.

	Martin Foster
	Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
	martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org