Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: ahester(at)galacticltd(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL
Date: 2005-10-17 09:05:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Andy Hester wrote:
> Please let me know if I am wrong. I would love to have some serious examples
> to show that opensource is not a "toy" and can be used effectively in the
> enterprise with all of the regular enterprise features. I am sure everyone
> is tired of comparison questions, but comparisons would be ok to.
>
> He probably still won't admit to it, but at least we will both know. :)

Well, start here - there are links to case studies, awards, quotes from
happy corporate users etc:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/

If you'd like more touch/taste evidence from the technical/engineering
side then search the mailing list archives and see the sort of questions
people are asking about configuring 14-disk arrays and managing 100GB
tables.

Of course, at the end of the day PG is free and your friend can test it
for himself. That's the only way to settle these discussions - actually
get some evidence.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd