Re: suggested warning about perl nested named subroutines

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: suggested warning about perl nested named subroutines
Date: 2005-10-12 22:45:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>If this were a Postgres problem I'd agree with you. But it isn't, really
>>- it's a Perl problem, which is properly documented in the Perl docs, to
>>which this note refers.
>Well, it's really a problem with our implementation of pl/perl. I don't think
>it's entirely fair to simply say it's a perl problem and point people at a
>perldoc page. An example would definitely be nice - it is not as if the pl/perl
>docs are growing out of control or anything. :)

Submit a patch then.

>+1 on the 5.6 dependency: it came out in early 2000. By way of comparison,
>PostgreSQL was at version 6.5.3 when perl 5.6 came out.

Sure. But there is an older, slightly more klunky, mechanism should work
just as well in this case (see my script).

>One more annoyance, while I'm here: what's with "spi_exec_query()"? Is that
>the best name we could come up with? How about something short and simple,
>in the same vein as "elog()", such as "sql()" ? :)

I don't much like it either. But it's there from 8.0, so we really
shouldn't change it now. OTOH I don't like also having spi_query, but
nobody has kicked up much. If we're going to change that we need to
change it real fast.