Re: lock - feedback

From: Thomas Rokohl <rokohl(at)raygina(dot)de>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: lock - feedback
Date: 2005-10-12 12:02:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Thomas Rokohl wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i have a short question and i don't find an answer is the archive.
>> i'm using the odbc interface to the db and if i lock rows with
>> SELECT FOR UPDATE  and someone else try the same or
>> try to read the rows, i will give him a feedback that he must wait or
>> abort.
>> The Problem is that the SELECT statement wait without feedback until
>> the end of the world if the row is lock.
>
> Actually, it will timeout, and you can set that with PG's
> configuration setting of "statement_timeout". See the "run-time
> configuration" section of the manual for details.

first: thanks for your fast answer.

if had found it in the manual but there is only a short clause about
this topic:

"Abort any statement that takes over the specified number of
milliseconds. A value of zero (the default) turns off the limitation. "

( by the way in my config file is it set to zero by default and that
means that it will be wait without a timeout.
#statement_timeout = 0        # 0 is disabled, in milliseconds
)

so but i'm not sure, doesn't it mean that all statements that take
longer than this time will be abort?
if it is so, that isn't a solution for this problem because than i can't
make a "big" request anymore.